Sunday, October 4, 2015

Group Rhetorical Analysis of Girl Culture

Group outline. The section I am rewriting is the section about makeovers in today's society.

               In our culture today the makeover is welcomed and embraced. Makeovers are a common activity for women of all ages. In movies women from all age groups are shown having fun doing each others' hair, makeup, nails, and picking outfits. Lauren Greenfield captures a more realistic version of the makeover in her photoessay Girl Culture. Greenfield depicts girls and women at fat camps in New York. Many of these women are unhappy with their own appearance. Much of this can be attributed to society's value on thin women. Societal expectations are for women to be thin. Thin means that they are better. However Greenfield's photographs allow the reader to make to form their own opinions about the "imperfect" bodies.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/Blush.JPG
               In my rewrite I used several parts of SOAPStone. The first part that I used is speaker. I used speaker to introduce the artist, Lauren Greenfield, whose work is being rhetorically analyzed. This then allows for the reader to bring in any background knowledge that they may have about the topic such as examples of her work. The next part of SOAPStone that I use is subject. I identify that the subject is the women in Greenfield's photo essay, Girl Culture. By identifying these women and collection of pictures, I made it clear for the audience what I am specifically analyzing. Greenfield has many pieces of work so by identifying which one I am analyzing, it makes it clearer for the reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment