Saturday, September 19, 2015

Peer Review and Revised Thesis

                After the peer review process, I learned that there are a couple areas of my paper that need to be changed. One area is my organization. There is a whole section that I could hyperlink and combine two sections. One of the sections is so specific and short that it can be included within another section. There is also a link to a video that I have as evidence that could be hyperlinked to the topic that it explains. With my organization I realized that I completely skipped a very important section. My controversy is the ethical guidelines and I didn't include a section that explained the current ones or a section that explained who decided the guidelines. These are very important ideas for my quick reference guide. I will probably put them between the "What's the Issue" section and the "Where is the Controversy Taking Place" sections.
                  Another area that needs improvement is my evidence and explanations areas. I need to include more quotes and provide a deeper analysis. In my "Fears" section I can analyze more of how the technology would be used for eugenics and why this is a bad thing. For my "What's the Issue" section I can hyperlink a video to CRISPR Cas9 when I first mention it. The video would provide a simpler explanation of the technology and how it works and provide visuals which would simplify the explanation and make my paper less technical. This is an advantage for a quick reference guide because it is not supposed to be an academic journal article. It is supposed to be a quick simplified explanation of a topic. I also need to write a conclusion to my quick reference guide and explain why this is important and be something that the reader cares about after reading my guide.
                 
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/ScientificReview.jpg


Rewritten thesis:
As new technologies are created people will gain skills never had before and therefore there must be followed and enforced ethical guidelines in order to preserve a high quality life for future generations and to prevent inhumane uses of these new skills and technologies.

2 comments:

  1. Your thesis sounds like you will be talking about news skills people learn in technology. Also, you will be discussing the ethics of technology and how to use technology to help society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting topic--sounds like an investigation about technology and its role in the future. However, there are a few minor questions for clarification that, I believe, should help with your thesis. (1) Are you talking about a particular type of technology, or are you talking about technology as a whole? (2) Are there any opposing sides; is there any conflict about your statement that people might bring up? (3) What "particular set of skills" are you specifically targeting for your QRG, and why would they especially need "ethical guidelines...to preserve a high quality life for future generations and to prevent inhumane uses of these new skills"? Hope these questions help!

    ReplyDelete