Thursday, August 27, 2015

Rhetoric Comparison

        The three situations that we discussed in class were trying to persuade someone to go on a date with you, trying to get an employer to hire you, and trying to convince someone to become your roommate.
        In all three we were trying to convince someone to do something, however the words used for each were different. The way we distinguished between them was based on what type of words were used. For trying to get a job the words tended to be more formal, professional, and conveyed a strong work ethic or dependability. Convincing a roommate and trying to get a date were more similar but the difference was convincing a date tended to have more romantic words while the words for getting a roommate tended to convey cleanliness.
        A recent situation where I used rhetoric was when I was rushing.  The audience of my situation was the fraternity members. The purpose was to try and get them to offer me a bid. The context is that I had to flirt with dudes and try to persuade them to let me into their fraternity. I was semi-effective in I received a bid, however it was not to a house that I liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment